!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Farmer Dave's Journal: Homemade Tomato Sauce!!!

Farmer Dave's Journal

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Homemade Tomato Sauce!!!

Ok - that turned out fantastic! I had a ton of fresh ingredients from the garden - - tomatoes, onions, basil, oregano, rosemary, and sage. Add a little garlic, nutmeg, olive oil, red wine, salt, and pepper and there you have it. It simmered for 6 hours so the whole house smells terrific now. The recipe said it would only need to cook for an hour but it was pretty watery. Toby suggested that I simmer it to let the water burn off...it was a pretty neat process. I put the tomatoes in as huge chunks and by the end of the 6 hours they turned into a delicious sauce. I think that was definitely one of the more fun things I've cooked in the past year or so. I'm planning to do it every year at harvest now since I never know what to do with all the extra tomatoes and it's pretty cost prohibitive the other times of the year when you would be buying the tomatoes at the store. ....and tomatoes in winter - - that's just not going to cut it for making a nice sauce anyway. Devera snorfeled it down for dinner so I know she liked it too. There was even enough to freeze...although it was only enough to fill 2 medium tupperware up, quite a reduction from the 4 pounds of tomatoes I started off with!
| Farmer Dave, 10:52 PM|

0 Comments:

Add a comment