!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Farmer Dave's Journal: Borat, the Movie

Farmer Dave's Journal

Saturday, December 02, 2006

Borat, the Movie

Tonight Toby and I had date night - - super fun as always! Our daycare is so great - - about once a month they will keep the children until 10:30pm at night and let the parents go out. Now of course you have to pay (the same price as a babysitter - $8 per hour), but it's so great because the kids love their teachers and they usually get to do something special that they don't get to do during the day. On my way home with Devera tonight I asked her what she did and she said, "I watched a movie...Barney". Before tonight I think I was actually more familiar with who Barney was then her.....but she seemed pretty excited to have seen it.

Anyway, Toby and I saw the movie, Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan. If you are easily offended then this is definitely not the movie for you. ....but Toby and I thought it was pretty funny. It's basically a mockumentory about a guy who pretends he's from the country of Kazakhstan and talks to everyday Americans in his pursuit to meet Pamela Anderson. Some of the scenes are super uncomfortable but that's kind of the gyst of the movie....that while it's always easy to point out what's wrong in other countries it's just as obvious to other countries that America has it's own issues....and the people aren't all good here either.

There were plenty of funny scenes that actually had me laughing so hard I was crying, the one that comes to mind is when he is learning to drive a car and his drivers education teacher tells him, "you can't just marry any woman you desire in America....they have to like you too - - that's a good thing right?" And Borat answers, "that's not good for me!" So I give the movie an A if you like satirical movies ala Roger and Me, Best in Show, etc. I give it an F if you like summer blockbusters or romance movies ala Independance Day or Pretty Woman. There you have it....watch at your own risk.
| Farmer Dave, 1:03 AM|

0 Comments:

Add a comment